Friday, October 31, 2014

Itu: I would've given armband to Senzo - Itumeleng Khune says he would have given the Bafana Bafana armband to Senzo Meyiwa if he were still alive to receive it.


"I've thought about my return to Bafana. I was preparing to tell coach Shakes Mashaba to keep Senzo as captain and number one."

Khune was speaking at the fallen goalkeeper's memorial service in Johannesburg today and shared the story of his rivalry with Meyiwa throughout the development ranks.

"Senzo and I share the same story of fighting for the number one jersey, coming from rural areas as young boys to being where we are today because we dreamt of taking over from the great legends such as Brian Baloyi and Williams Okpara back in the days – they used to make the Derby something all South Africans should be proud of," Khune said. 

"The first time I met Senzo was in 2002 when we were both selected to the Gauteng team for an inter-provincial tournament. That's when our battle for number one started. At the age of 15 me and Senzo were already competing for the number one jersey.

"The coaches didn't know who to play first and who to bench and that battle went all the way through to Bafana Bafana. We gave all the coaches a headache.

"I remember the technical team needing to pick a keeper at Under-23 and they suggested cutting us in half so we both could play.

"But Senzo didn't give up even when I was number one for Bafana, he kept fighting, and it was his hard work that earned him that jersey when I got injured...

"As youngsters we both dreamt of being number one for the country. It is sad to see Senzo taken too soon..."

No comments:

Post a Comment